On Tuesday, February 14, 2018, the McCandless Community Association addressed the Town of McCandless Environmental Advisory Committee to discuss plans for a Community Garden. Our plan includes a 1-acre garden whose purpose will be multifaceted.
The proposed Community Garden will:
- Provide a place where community members can come together to help others
- Provide education to local elementary school children who can learn to grow food and respect the environment
- Provide a great way to relax and get your hands dirty!
- Help improve air and soil quality
Provide access to fresh produce and nutritionally rich foods to local food banks and churches
- Adopt environmentally sound practices
The Board of Directors of the McCandless Community Association is grateful to Dan and Elisa Heckert, who will chair the Committee. Their vast knowledge of gardening and environmentally sound practices will help guide us as we see the program from inception to reality.
Interested volunteers can reach out to Dan Heckert at firstname.lastname@example.org.